Friday 25 May 2007

New floor

The welding job on the new floor is now completed. This repair involved a tremendous amount of work and took much more time than anticipated. Now what's left to do is cutting out a new plywood board and install a new carpet.



Dad also removed the water tank from its location, under the rear bed. This is a huge plastic tank that's sitting right on the plywood floor. Dad wanted to make sure that the plywood floor under the tank is not rotten. It turned out that the plywood is in perfect shape.



Meanwhile Dad drained the auto transmission and dropped the pan in order to inspect the filter. A lot of sludge in the pan and a dirty filter are usually signs of something wrong with the tranny. However the pan only had a very small amount of sludge and the filter looked quite clean, wich is good considering the mileage of the vehicle. The transmission will get some new fluid, and since it shifted very well on the road no problems are expected with the transmission.



Today Dad removed the front wheel hubs to inspect the wheel bearings. Everything is in perfect condition. These are very strong heavy-duty truck drivetrain components, and it's still like new.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Outstanding metal work! With that type of workmanship shown, the final refit should be awesome! I just purchased a 76 320, and was wondering if you could take some close ups of the gauge panels on the dash area? My switches are not labeled and I could use some assistance in that department (the radio and heat controls also).

Thanks
Herb (hdettmer25@hotmail.com)

Carl said...

Hi Herb
I'll update the blog next weekend, I'll try to snap a few closeup pictures of the dashboard for you. I'm not sure all the switches are in their original location or correctly labeled, and I know some of them are not working (in the heater controls especially). So we might need some assistance ourselves!!

Thanks

Carl

Steve Reber said...

Great job, I have a 73 Superior on a Dodge chassis I am fixing...I live in the desert Southwest US so no rust. I have a simple question, How do you remove the grease caps on the front hubs. It looks like from the pix that they are the same as mine, Octogon shaped caps inset in the hub.
Steve
sreber5@comcast.net

Carl said...

Hi Steve
Sorry for the late response.
I'm not sure I know how the grease caps work on these, I'm not the mechanic here!
My suggestion is ask the guys on the Travco Yahoo Group (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/travco) they are a great bunch and very helpful.

Carl